The 97th FUFA Ordinary General Assembly in unison made recognition of the incredible and integral role of two servants of the game of football from Eastern region, the hosts of this year’s Assembly.
Charles Namakhola and Rajab Mohammed Walangalira were both awarded and recognized at the Assembly held on Saturday at Wash and Wills Hotel in Mbale City.
Like it has been the norm since 2017 when FUFA started the initiative of recognizing personalities from different aspects of the game in each region that hosts the Assembly, the same was applied on Saturday.
FUFA Executive Committee Member, Roger Byamukama presented the motion to have the two gentlemen rewarded by the Assembly.
Experienced coach Namakhola was appreciated for his efforts as a coach, managing several teams since 2001.
On the other hand, Walangalira a former FIFA Referee was also rewarded for his excellent role in shaping refereeing in Uganda.
Minister of State for Sports, Hon. Hamson Obua who was the Guest of Honour at the Assembly handed over the plaques and a cash prize of one million shillings each.
Namakhola who was overwhelmed with joy lauded FUFA for recognizing his contribution to the game and indicated this motivates him to keep within the confines of the game.
‘This is really exciting and I’m really honored to receive this award. I may be weaker and old now but this give me more energy to carry on. Football is a family to me and I’m proud to associate with FUFA.’ He stated.
Walangalira equally could not hide his delight after receiving the award, indicating he could not believe his works would be recognized.
‘It is indeed a surprise to me that FUFA thought about me. To get an award after so many years means my work is appreciated. I must applaud FUFA under the Leadership of Hon. Moses Magogo because there is a complete turn around on the image of the Federation.’
Profile of Namakhola
- Born 10th October 1954 in Sironko District
- Studied from Nkoma SS and joined Gangama United where he played between 1971-1977
- Played for Nytil F 1978-1984
- Won the Uganda Cup with Gangama United in 1976
- Started coaching in Mbale Heroes in 2001.
- Coached Miltary Police, Telestar FC, Cranes B Team, Uanda U23, Kinyara FC, Iganga Town Council and JMC Hippos among others.
- Still head coach of Bukedi Province in the FUFA Drum
Profile of Rajab Mohammed Walangalira
- Born 10th May, 1958
- Qualified as Referee in 1983
- Became Grade 1 Referee in 1989
- Became FIFA Referee in 1990
- Member of FUFA General Assembly from 1988-2000
- Vice Chairman of Uganda Football Referees Association
- Football Commissioner
- Trained Referees Instructor